Beet and Carrot Latkes
Beets and carrots are cool-season vegetables that add vibrant colour and fresh flavour to your healthy diet. Beets contain vitamin C, fibre, iron, and high levels of B-complex vitamin folate. Carrots contain beta-carotene, which is a substance that your body uses to produce vitamin A. Enjoy the benefits of both in this delicious and colourful recipe!
- 2 medium beets, coarsely grated
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 medium onion, coarsely grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (or almond flour and gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the grated vegetables in a bowl. Add the beaten eggs, stir to combine, then stir in the flour and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Heat 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, scoop 1/3 cup of the latke mixture into the pan, and flatten to 1/4 inch thick. Scoop 3 more latkes into the pan. Cook the 4 latkes until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes per side. Remove the latkes and place on a paper towel to soak up excess oil. Then transfer to a baking sheet and place them in the warm oven to keep the latkes warm and crispy while you cook the remaining latkes.
- Add another 1.5 tablespoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining latkes. When all the latkes are done, serve them warm with sour cream or applesauce.
Marsha Fenwick, C.N.P. R.R.T.
Marsha is not your typical nutritionist. She began her career 20 years ago as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Later, she earned her certifications as a Registered Nutritional Consultant Practitioner, Certified Nutritional Practitioner, and Registered Orthomolecular Health Practitioner. Marsha is also a Certified Cancer Coach. Her clinical practice specializes in: sustainable healthy weight loss, digestive health, women's hormones, diabetes, heart health, and cancer prevention and recovery. For more information and to book a FREE 15 minute consultation go to www.marshafenwicknutrition.com