Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced into small cubes
- 3 celery sticks sliced into small cubes
- 225 g mushrooms, thinly sliced (variety of mushrooms including maitake and shitake .. can be dried)
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and sliced mushrooms with 1 Tbsp coconut oil .
- Add carrots and celery to onions with mushrooms and let simmer for 5 min.
- Add veggie broth, water and pearl barley to the mixture.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partly covered 30-40 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add salt and pepper as desired .