Tempeh Stir Fry
Tempeh’s fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher concentration of protein, dietary fibre and vitamins compared to tofu, as well as a firmer texture and stronger flavour. This recipe tastes delicious over brown rice, soba noodles or quinoa.
20 min. prep
4 – 5 servings
Keeps 2-3 days in fridge
- 1 8oz. package of organic tempeh
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or coconut oil
- 3 quarter sized slices of fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into very thin slices
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced on diagonal
- 2 1/2-3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1-2 heads of bok choy, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4-6 red kale leaves, washed, stemmed & chopped
- ¾ cups water or freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Steam tempeh in vegetable broth or water to decrease bitterness and to soften.
How It’s Made
- Place tempeh cubes in medium, sized bowl. Pour on the 1 tablespoon tamari, balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Marinate while you make the sauce and continue with the recipe.
- In a large wok, heat 1 teaspoon of the grapeseed oil. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add onion, celery and carrot and toss to coat with oil. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, and 1-2 tablespoons water to help create steam. Remove cover to stir vegetables and to make sure they are not burning. Add a little bit of sauce.
- Remove vegetables from the wok and keep warm.
- In the wok, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of grapeseed oil and add the tempeh and a bit of sauce. Cook for 5 minutes until tempeh is cooked through and golden brown.
- Combine the vegetables back into the wok with the kale and bok choy, and cook together for a few more minutes until flavours combine and greens wilt.
Other Marinades for Tempeh:
- Tamari sauce, sesame oil, ginger, honey & garlic
- Lemon juice, dijon mustard, olive oil & rosemary
- Basil, olive oil, garlic, pesto
- Tahini, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, tamari & parsley
- Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper
- Olive oil, honey, fresh orange juice and ginger