7 Root Causes of Weight Gain and Chronic Health Concerns
One of the most important steps in creating health is to bring awareness to the key areas of health. This article focuses on different root causes of weight gain and chronic health concerns.
Do any of these apply to you?
1. Inflammation: Chronic Inflammation is a key contributor to many chronic health conditions including weight loss resistance. This may be due to SAD as well as food sensitivities / intolerances (ie. sugar, wheat/gluten, dairy, processed foods).
2. Insulin & Blood Sugar Balance: The main function of insulin is to carry sugar out of the blood stream into the cell to be utilized as energy. Unbalanced blood sugar levels may cause insulin resistance, sugar cravings and feelings of imbalance.
3. Digestion and Gut Health: Optimizing your digestion and gut health are key factors related to neurotransmitters, the immune system, and gut microbiome.
4. Chronic Stress: Whereby the body responds by releasing high levels of cortisol. Cortisol decreases the body’s response to insulin and can cause abdominal weight gain.
5. Estrogen Excess / Hormone Imbalances: Greatest factor for weight gain and hormonal imbalances. This in turn promotes fat storage.
6. Slow Metabolism: Affected by age, gender, exercise and hormones (eg. thyroid and estrogen).
7. Insufficient Sleep: Sleeping releases the hormone melatonin which triggers the release of the growth hormone. Growth hormones create cell reproduction, healing, slow protein breakdown and encourage fat loss.
What’s one thing about your health that you’d love some help with right now?
Marsha Fenwick, C.N.P. R.R.T.
Marsha is not your typical nutritionist. She began her career 20 years ago as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Later, she earned her certifications as a Registered Nutritional Consultant Practitioner, Certified Nutritional Practitioner, and Registered Orthomolecular Health Practitioner. Marsha is also a Certified Cancer Coach. Her clinical practice specializes in: sustainable healthy weight loss, digestive health, women's hormones, diabetes, heart health, and cancer prevention and recovery. For more information and to book a FREE 15 minute consultation go to Marsha Fenwick Nutrition.