In my clinical practice, I spend time with clients educating them on how to relinquish their fear of fats. Healthy fats are essential for brain health, cholesterol and hormones throughout the body. I wanted to share a little about one of the healthiest fats… THE AVOCADO.
Avocado: A Healthy Option in the Ketogenic Diet
Did you know that avocado is a fruit and is an ideal choice to enjoy as a healthy fat, specifically as a good option in the Ketogenic Diet? This diet includes large percentages of fats, moderate amounts of protein and low carbohydrate intake in order to lower insulin levels and reduce inflammation in our body.
In the meantime, here are some ways to incorporate avocados in your daily routine:
- Add avocados (half) to smoothies to create a rich creamy texture;
- Who doesn’t love guacamole and dip as a snack. Mash up avocado with fresh lime, cilantro, onion and tomato. Add a dash of salt and mix together with vegetables or crackers;
- Egg and avocado in a hole – Cut half an avocado ,remove pit and place a cracked egg inside avocado hole, sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika and bake in oven until egg is cooked. Great as a quick breakfast;
- Avocado toast -Slice and toast a good quality piece of bread (Ezekiel or gluten free), drizzle with a bit of olive oil and spread mashed avocado topped with hemp hearts;
- Avocado pudding – Mix unsweetened cacao and small amount of raw maple syrup with mashed avocado to create a delicious and filling sweet chocolaty pudding!
Wishing you all a bright and radiant Spring to follow!