Many seeds offer exceptional nutritional value, containing dietary fibre, protein, healthy fats and antioxidants. Here are seven super seeds for nutrition and disease prevention that you should be including in your diet every day:
- Chia seeds come from a plant that grows in the deserts of Mexico. They’re also high in iron, folate, fibre, protein, calcium, and antioxidants. Add to smoothies, granola and salads.
- Flax Seeds are a great source of soluble fibre which lowers cholesterol and makes you feel full longer. High in omega-3 fatty acids, they are beneficial for brain health. As well, they are associated with boosting eye health. Research shows flax may help prevent certain cancers.
- Hemp seeds are full of protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They also contain phytosterols which lower cholesterol, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that promote skin and hair health and digestive and cardiovascular health.
- Pumpkin seeds are a great source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, iron, zinc, B vitamins, magnesium, protein and Vitamin E, a potent antioxidant. They are also an excellent source of alpha-linolenic acid, an essential fatty acid that can only be acquired through diet.
- Quinoa seeds have an earthy, nutty taste and are gluten free. As a plant-based protein on par with dairy souces, it’s the perfect option for vegans and vegetarians. Its low glycemic-index value makes it a good option for people with diabetes. This seed must be cooked.
- Sesame seeds are high in antioxidants and rich in protein, these seeds are an excellent source of zinc, copper, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, molybdenum, vitamin B1, selenium and dietary fiber.
- Sunflower seeds may lower the risk of cardiovascular problems and reduce blood pressure because they contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. The are also a good source of iron, folate (which boosts immunity), niacin and vitamin E, which protect cells from free radicals damage (helping to prevent cancer) and promotes eye health.
How do you incorporate these 7 super seeds for nutrition into your diet on a daily basis?