Clinical Nutritionist Marsha Fenwick is back at The Healthy Butcher this week to discuss Healthy Food Swaps.
Marsha’s Top 3 Healthy Food Swaps:
1. Swap bread, bagels or tortillas with swiss chard or collard greens by using the big green leaves as wraps. Or, use clean ingredient wraps like the Live Wraps which come in many flavours by Live Organics or Wrap It Up Raw.
2. Swap white refined and processed pasta with a vegetable, black bean, edamame or legume-based pasta by Authentic Cuisine or Maria’s.
3. To add more flavor to your dishes, swap bottled and processed sauces high in sodium and sugar with fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, or pickles. Don’t be afraid to add salt, but be sure to use salt high in minerals like Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt.
Add a dab of Harissa to kick it up a notch!
Bonus Food Swaps!!
4. Instead of a bun for your burger, grill up some portobello mushrooms and marinate with some fresh rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper; it is a great, meaty substitute.
5. Spiralize zucchini or sweet potato noodles instead of starchy pasta that is high in carbohydrates.
6. Choose cauliflower pizza or cauliflower rice as well to replace standard pizza and rice.
7. Try rice paper wraps as a low carb and easy option for wraps.
The benefits of these healthy changes are choosing options that are nutrient dense with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals and low in refined carbs and sugar… Make sense??
What are your favourite healthy food swaps? Leave a comment below…
Marsha Fenwick, C.N.P. R.R.T.
Marsha is not your typical nutritionist. She began her career 20 years ago as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Later, she earned her certifications as a Registered Nutritional Consultant Practitioner, Certified Nutritional Practitioner, and Registered Orthomolecular Health Practitioner. Marsha is also a Certified Cancer Coach. Her clinical practice specializes in: sustainable healthy weight loss, digestive health, women’s hormones, diabetes, heart health, and cancer prevention and recovery. For more information and to book a FREE 15 minute consultation go to Marsha Fenwick Nutrition.